Monday, July 2, 2018

Context Collapse

Today Dr. Dennen instructed one definition “Context Collapse” and its explanation. It was my first time to know this definition, but I think I understand its implication since now we are experiencing “context collapse” regardless of on social network or the real life.


If you share something on Facebook with the default “Friends” setting, then you will share it with ALL of the groups. However, it is usual that you would not like to share it with ALL of these people. “Friends” setting may include “friends,” “close friends,” “Acquaintances” and so on. You may just want to share it with your close friends. Consequently, the different contexts collapse and combine one.


I don’t act the same way when I am in the USA as I do when I am in China. For example, in China, people usually use sun umbrellas in the sunshine to protect skins from the Ultraviolet rays. On the contrary, people, in the USA, rarely utilize sun umbrellas on a sunny day. People enjoy the sunshine, don’t avoid it intentionally. Consequently, I usually do some homework in advance (get familiar with local culture, customs, and etiquettes) before going aboard.


Why does “Context Collapse” frequently occur around us? I believe one of the reasons is that people each other’s distance/relationship are too close due to “Social network”, ”mobile” and ”Internet.”  It is easier for people to reach beyond the world of tights groups. Although I am living in the USA, I can communicate with my parents every day who are living on the other side of the globe via Wechat (a social network tool).  I tightly keep in touch with my Chinese relatives and previous Chinese colleagues, although I have lived in the USA for 5 years. However, it may bring discomfort due to too close distance. For instance, if I sent some photos to Facebook or Wechat that I was enjoying movies with popcorns and ice beers, my friend who was writing a paper without sleep for three days saw these photos. He/she would feel discomfort, even being unconnected with me.


Could you think out more causes?



3 comments:

  1. Hannah, your understanding and examples of context collapse realate me, although I do not use umbrella to block the sun rays in both countries. They always warn that "be careful what you post on sicial media". What we say or show there does have an impact. Meanwhile, there can be social comparison of all kinds when we are engaged in social media. That is something we all need to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel it connects to me as I have my social media separated into groups for work, family, friends, close family/friends, school friends, etc so I can share specific content with specific people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my surprise the first time I saw someone using a sun umbrella! It was on my first trip to Asia (Taipei). Now it makes sense, and I've used one myself ... but never in the US.

    ReplyDelete