Monday, July 16, 2018

Google Maps



As a learner and an amateur of the new technology, I am not familiar with most of this week tools. But I am incredibly impressed and deeply attracted by a tool and frequently use it  -- Google Maps. I believe that many people have known or have been utilizing it. It is a web mapping service, offering satellite imagery, street maps, street view, real-time traffic conditions and so on. Each of its functions is very practical and meaningful to help people expand their reach scope. The following features/functions are worthwhile to recommend to you.


Parking location:  Before you start driving, you can look up places to park your car. After you reach your destination, particularly parking in a huge parking lot or garage, you can set as a parking location to save this location on the map. It is so convenient for you to find your vehicle later. In case you missed it, the feature lets you save your exact parking location on your cell phone. On the July 4th, our family went to Tom Brown park in Tallahassee for the celebrating party. When we left the park, we found our car immediately in the dark park with this function. Additionally, a user-friendly function- notification can tell you how long your car has been parked. If it sounds good, you could click here for more information. 


Google street view: It is a particular feature of Google Maps which provides 360° panoramic street-level views of various locations. I know that street view garnered much controversy after its release because of privacy concerns. But it has more advantages for people’s convenience compared to these issues. For example, before I go to a strange place, like a market, I am not sure exactly what the market is (it is large or small). I will open street view to help me judge whether it is the place I want to go. It is very practical for foreigners to live aboard. For more details, please click here


Share your location: it is the same function as Snap Map’s. I share my real-time location with my husband. It makes me feel safer when I leave FSU library alone in the midnight. It is also a good feature for children’s safety. Here is the specific instruction on how to share your location with others.


Dr. Dennen mentioned a feature--creating a map for an event and share it with others or engage in collaborative mapping. I have no idea about it. Could I create it just on my cell phone? Or produce it on a computer, and then transfer it into a cell phone for use?


No comments:

Post a Comment